Wednesday, July 08, 2020

page 236 of DEVIL MAKE A THIRD:

Buck spoke through tight lips, tonelessly.
"You were hired to talk and given a list of names. Now your job is over. Your new tent is on the ACL siding. Be out of town tomorrow and don't speak tonight."

"It's my duty to speak," the preacher said, mockingly.

Buck's eyelids trembled as he narrowed his eyes. He didn't speak.

"Unless," the preacher continued, slowly, with his eyes trying to hold Buck's, "we could be paid for not doing our night's work,"

Buck held up his hand and stopped him.
"You're not a regular preacher, are you? Baptist or Methodist?"

"No, I'm not ordained, but I believe I'm qualified  to do one thing," He paused and lowered his voice. "I can tell the good people of Aven just what kind of man they have for mayor."

"Now, by God," Buck said, harshly, "you're going to find out what kind of man I am, but I doubt you'll be telling it." He turned carelessly to Jeff, and jerked his head towards the business district. "Go to the City Hall. Have Tobe come right up and tell him to bring Longboy."
(clipping from the March 14, 1930 Dothan Eagle)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home