Wednesday, July 08, 2020

"Aren't you finished with THAT BOOK yet?!!!" ...
When work was over yesterday, I sent this Facebook message to my former Dothan High classmate, Deborah Draughon :
"Wanted to let you know that I believe your Grandfather "Long Boy" Draughon was the model for Dougie Bailey's character of Longboy Taylor in DEVIL MAKE A THIRD on page 237 and 238. The incident that is used for the model for the burning of the evangelist's tent was an arson that occurred ten years after Buck Baker's death but I believe that arson plus the arson of the Methodist parsonage in 1914 were the models for the events that occurred in Chapter 22 of the book. I'll put everything together and post it with more detail tomorrow. I found your name when I saw Long Boy's son was your Daddy who was killed in '53."

This morning I received this response from Deborah: "Yes, you are absolutely correct! Long Boy was my grandfather. As a child, I always thought he was such a giant! Thank you, Robert, I look forward to reading the post."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home