Thursday, June 25, 2020

Page 174 of DEVIL MAKE A THIRD

His mother cleared her throat and a muscle in the side of her jaw began to twitch.

"What about the bank stock?" she said, her voice shaking a little.

"Hmph!" Buck nearly laughed. "You can sell hell out of it," he said. "I don't own the bank any more."

Jeanie Bannon sat up straighter, but didn't speak.

"You figured you'd sell control out from under me," Buck said carefully, "so, I just turned aroun' an' sold control out from under you. An' I sold it to Longshore, lock, stock an' barrel."

Her voice was hoarse.

"That where you been this week?" she said. "Workin' on that?"

Buck nodded. "Day an' night," he said. "He bought the fanciest set o' books in the state an' if I was you, I'd sell out quick as I could. It won't be long." (clipping from the December 21, 1907 DOTHAN EAGLE)



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home