Thursday, October 14, 2021

from page 194 of DEVIL MAKE A THIRD: "I've watched 'im grow from a little chunk," he said, sadly, "to a big ol' stand-up-in-the-road that owns half them buildin's you see up the street." He paused and took one step up the stairway. "An' I've fostered him," he went on over his shoulder, "but now, if the Lord lets me, I'm agoin' to cuss him for a thievin' dog." He cleared his throat as he reached the top of the stairs. "Soon as I get a couple more drinks in me an' find a damned telephone that works."

Bass snickered, but Jake didn't notice him. He walked down the dim hall until he came to a door marked, "Aven Telephone Co." Then he held out his hand for the receiver. "Gimme that." Bass dropped it into his hand. Jake opened the door and brighter light flooded into the hall.

"Miss Edie," Jake said, with dignity, "here's number twenty-five"

(Dothan's first telephone operator was named "Miss Pattie" Borland.)



(clippings from the August 15, 1929 Dothan Eagle; from the August 22, 1938 Dothan Eagle; from the September 22, 1898 Montgomery Advertiser)




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home