Thursday, September 30, 2021

 Baker Loan to Baker Trust: 1905



from page 174 of DEVIL MAKE A THIRD: His mother cleared her throat and a muscle in the side of her jaw began to twitch.

"What about the bank stock?" she said, her  voice shaking a little.

"Hmpf!" Buck nearly laughed. "You can sell hell out of it," he said. "I don't own the bank any more."

Jeanie Bannon sat up straighter, but didn't speak.

"You figured you'd sell control out from under me," Buck said, carefully, "so, I just turned aroun' an' sold control out from under you. An' I sold it to Longshore, lock , stock and' barrel."

Her voice was hoarse.

"That where you been this week?" she said. "Workin' on that?"

Buck nodded. "Day an' night," he said. "He bought the fanciest set o' books in the state an' if I was you, I'd sell quick and I could. It won't be long."

"I might a' known it," she said, slowly, "Take a McPherson to beat one." She was quiet a second, still looking at him, then she began to laugh in her chest.


from the December 26, 1907 JONES VALLEY TIMES (Birmingham) 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home