Saturday, October 09, 2021

 Contents of DEVIL MAKE A THIRD

Forward

SECTION 1- circa 1887

           Chapter 1- "Headin' for town..."

           Chapter 2- "Take the first job somebody offers me, long as it ain't handlin' a tool." 

           Interlude #1- " 'F I hadn't borrowed the first dollar from Buck Bannon, he'd never 'o made a loan."

SECTION 2- 16 months later; circa 1888-1889

           Chapter 3- "His wife's sick. He needs money now for some doctorin' in Atlanta."

           Chapter 4- "I don't give a damn about bein' a gentleman but, by God, I'll be payin' my debts, till I                                     die."

            Interlude #2-  circa 1890 "He left in a rubber-tired buggy, all right."

SECTION 3-  circa 1890

             Chapter 5- "Please don't let me be scared of all them folks."

             Interlude #3- " Now I couldn't even be a night watchman if Buck wasn't buildin' his folks a house                                          an' hired me so he could get his money back."

SECTION 4- circa 1890

             Chapter 6- "Big Vic," she said. "We got a Little Vic."  

             Chapter 7- "We're goin' to call her Christina."

             Interlude #4-  "Wasn't for him, you wouldn't even have a job helpin' to lay out the town."

SECTION 5- circa 1891

             Chapter 8- "He'll be drunk for two days and won't have a chance to tell it in town."  

             Chapter 9- "I don't reckon you could do anything that wasn't pretty."

             Interlude #5- "He got me this job 'cause him and  old man Dean got to be big political buddies and                                        he says if I'll pay him half my salary ever' week, he won't charge no more interest."

SECTION 6

              Chapter 10- "Stick around," he said, "reckon we can gee on some other matters, too." [Stylish George's card game. Meets Tobe.]

              Chapter 11- "I'm all that and I'm a man that don't change. But if you're in love with the kind of                                             man  I am now, by the Lord, I ain't goin' to change."

               Chapter 12- "We don't need a light right now."   [meets Virgil after his own wedding]

               Interlude #6- "Jake, what bothers me is, how come he can do things like he'd doin' to you and you 

                                       stay friends with him?"

SECTION 7

              Chapter 13- "Hold supper up. Got something to 'tend to."

              Chapter 14- "Losses don't worry me. I just draw a new hand an' raise all bets."

               Chapter 15- "Papa died."

               Interlude #7- (scene is set ten years later- circa 1900) "Talkin' 'bout me wastin' on women, look                                           at  him. It was a woman made that girl clear out."

SECTION 8 - circa 1900

               Chapter 16- "It was kinda fun fixin' up to give 'em that stuff."

               Chapter 17- "One thing I've always wanted to see though, New York."

               Chapter 18- "A hotel with a bathroom and a telephone in every room."

                Interlude #8- "Miss Edie, here's number twenty-five."

SECTION 9

              Chapter 19-  "I hope you can find me a place."

              Chapter 20-  "You've only known me three weeks, you don't even know if you'd like to kiss me."

              Interlude #9- "Old as Buck is, there ain't apt to be no more a'comin'."   

SECTION 10

             Chapter 21-  "Go on down. Lessie Whitfield!"

             Chapter 22- "Well, Preacher, lucky you didn't sleep in your tent last night."

             Chapter 23- "I can just see little old Ed Reddick collectin' taxes from Josie's Hollow Horn girls."

             Interlude #10- "Well, sir, you can't never tell about Buck. I didn't figure he'd get over Tobe Parody                                        gettin' killed." 

SECTION 11

            Chapter 24- "She's just got a one-way fare, Buck, but she's routed right."

            Chapter 25- "It's a plumb shame that everybody can't afford to live all the time like they didn't have                                      but one more day."      

            Chapter 26- "Your place is so much like the house we used to live in, maybe you'd just let me come                                   down here to visit."       

             Interlude #11- "Pore Buck, ever'body around him droppin' out, an' his brand-new wife packin' off                                          to  boardin' school."

SECTION 12

             Chapter 27- "And, by God, when I get to where I have to be serviced like a damned brood mare,                                        I'll get a man. It won't be a spineless dog.      

             Chapter 28-  "Good God, let me get out of this place."

             Chapter 29- "I'm going to wear white satin, cut real low, and white gloves up past my elbows. At                                        the dedication, when you make the speech."  

             Chapter 30- "She's gone."

             Chapter 31- "Put it on the records as a bridal suite and charge double our usual rates."

              Interlude #12- "Mighty good to see a fellow get in shape to retire."

                                      "Go to hell."

SECTION 13

               Chapter 32- "My God, that'll be the capitol calling from Montgomery."

                Chapter 33- "Drop the guitar."



              


                                

              

             

              


                       


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home