Monday, September 09, 2019

On Monday, September 9, 2019 I found a letter from Barbara (Kerr) Little, Tuscaloosa's main elementary school teacher before the Civil War, to her sons who were serving in the Confederate army.
"Tuscaloosa Aug /61.

My dear Sons,

I hope you are both well. I was very anscious about Geo. when I heard that the Creeks wer up. Father is well has been walking out today, and is now fast asleep. Your Father is tolerably well he is also sleeping soundly. Aunt M. Mrs. Kirk Cousin M. and I went to prayer meeting this evening at the Baptist Church a good number  present Mr. B. and Mr. M. officiated.
Last eve Dr. W. was quite interesting about Simon Magus he wished to purchase the Holy Ghost with money  Some think money can purchas every thing even Eternal life (ed. note:underlined) Som unGodly persons make larger donations, when they are going to die hoping therby to make atonement for cheating the Widow and fatherless They will be disappointed The Blood of Jesus alone can cleanse from sins and guilt  James is better he did not feel well day before yesterday he had to stay with Mrs. Leland two nights and did not sleep well. Uncle Graham is well Mrs. Kirk sends her love to you both She wants to see John very much her daughter Jenny has been very ill in N. Orleans from her liver. The Capt. speaks of going next week
I walked nearly home with her. Mrs. Owen is almost distracted about Marcus she has not heard from him yet some thinks that he had been taken prisoner this is the best construction of what is rumoured. A letter from Dom Fiquet he is still a prisoner. I expect he feels rather humbled by this time his Cousin's are was badly wounded it may have to be amputated. Mr. Fiquet is with him in Richmond I think. Dom does not appear to have heard from home since he was taken. Dr. Leland say (ed. note:UNDERLINED) he had no idea what war was by all his reading about it until he saw its effects he say it is beyond description awful. (ed. note:end of underlining) He thinks so many went back to tell the History of it that the rest will not be so willing to go to war after this. some of the heads and feet of those who were buried were uncovered. He himself would have given One dollar for a drink of water when he was there and he could not get it he said they had to drink from water worse than our hogs drink in the street. I think it is awful to die in a battle. O preserve us from such horrible ends is my prayer. O for the reign of Righteousness and peace may it soon cover this earth and first (ed. note: UNDERLINED) reign in each of our hearts. O to be kept from the evil of this world while we are in it.

I saw Ella and his Mother at Church this ev. the Miss Smiths have gone to their old home for a few days, only Another letter from Thom. Maxwell  he is still in Liverpool his patience is tried with a sick wife. she has not been able to travel yet has had an absess inside
some persons are hav chills I hope you will be prudent you should have a hose of Padaphline Pills with you. health is a blessing with is not appreciated until deprived of it  My School is yet small I hope it will soon increase. Cousin had a sick spell yesterday she is better today any news from Br.  Wm. Dr. L. saw them in Richmond.

This is Saturday morning I thought i would would go and see some children that have been sick but looks so much like rain afraid I cannot go out.
Cousin is making a sponge cake but you do know we do not have it often. (ed note: underlined) I hope you will be two Brothers united in every good word and work in time and preparing for Eternity.(ed. note: end underlining.) John I would write oftener but I shall have to buy some envelopes Miss M. Shortridge stays with Mrs. Miller. S. Dearing looks badly  I saw her at prayer meeting. Your Mother B. Little"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home