Wednesday, July 04, 2018

Sometimes this computer technology gives you so much access to the past that it's just PLAIN SPOOKY. I've been studying these Yankee raids on the St. Andrews Bay salt works and found that the superintendent of the Confederate government's salt works was named Clendinen and that being a very old Dothan name, I began to look into it. I found Mr. Clendinen mentioned in an issue of the February 4, 1863 TROY MESSENGER. After copying and saving the clipping I decided to go back to that same page of the Troy paper from the Civil War and I found a recruitment article about men being brought into the Confederate service to protect the St. Andrews salt works from the Yankee raids but then over in the lower right corner of that page I noticed where my Great Great Grandfather John Young Register (my full name is Robert Young Register) had posted a Tax Collector's Sale for property he'd condemned for back taxes. Made the hair stand up on my arms.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home