Wednesday, January 09, 2019

SUMMER OF '69 by John Little : In 1969 a group of Chukker Nation types spent the summer in New Jersey driving Pied Piper Ice Cream trucks. Besides myself there was John Vanslavie, Rick Stiengress, Pat Jordon (Siano), Bill Hart and a couple of others who's identity I can't remember. Bill Hart would leave with his truck each morning with a case of beer in the freezer which he would completely polish off before he had returned to plant at night (he was an excellent role model for his little children customers). One of the great mysteries in Chukker Nation lore, of course, is "whatever happened to to Bill Hart". In early June (with the encouragement of Rick Stiengress) I hitch hiked to Alaska alone (45 rides in 8 days). I worked there for a couple of months then flew to Kansas City and hitched back to Tuscaloosa in time for the fall semester. Before leaving New Jersey in early June some of our housemates were talking about going to the Woodstock festival in mid-August (about an hour and a half drive north). I think that Bruce's the story is about right but I'm not sure that the term "Chukker Nation" was born exactly in August of 69 but it certainly was at some point within the following year. I certainly remember Lloyd Russell. I also recall that one or more narcs had infiltrated the Chukker Nation circle resulting in arrests.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home