Tuesday, December 11, 2018

This is an appeal to my Tuscaloosa friends to help me gather stories about a cross dressing Tuscaloosa County moonshiner who lived from the turn of the century until the 1980s. If you gotta story, YOU KNOW WHO I'M TALKIN' ABOUT and you know his COMMUNITY.(as most of you know, you don't wanna RILE his kinfolks so we'll keep "HER" name our secret) All I know is what I've heard and it is STRANGE. So here's what was told to me...I've heard like everybody else that he started wearing dresses and putting on makeup in order to elude the law. When the cops knocked on the door, "SHE" would greet them and tell 'em that her husband, Mr. C., was not at home. "She" made a business out of OUTFITTING moonshiners. "She" 'd supply the land, the water source, the sugar, the jars and probably in the Fifties, the propane. The moonshiners provided the corn, the weak mind and the strong back. "She" also acted as a middle "man" wholesaling liquor to the B'ham Italians and the Greene County car thieves who had ghetto connections up North. Story goes that not only did "she" kiss KISSIN' JIM FOLSOM on the courthouse steps but that Kissin' Jim gave "her" some of Governor Bibb's furniture from either the Governor's mansion or the Archives and History. A buddy of mine asked "her", "Mr. C., I hope you won't be offended but why do you dress like a woman?" Mr. C. said,"Boy, when I'm in my overalls I'm just another ignorant hick but when I put on my OUTFIT, nobody's gettin' NUTTIN' outta me!" "She" started spending more and more money on dresses and started shopping in Mountain Brook and also had her hair done there. One day "she" was in a Mountain Brook beauty parlor and had to go to the bathroom. When "she" returned to her chair, another woman went to the bathroom and ran back into the room hollering, "There's a man in here! Somebody left the lid up on the toilet!" "She" loved telling that story on "herself". I truly believe this would be a terrific short story about the liquor business in Tuscaloosa County before 1956 plus it's BEYOND THE BIZARRE!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home