Friday, December 14, 2018

Not gonna be much help I’m afraid. I was pre-teen back when we hunted around Laurel Branch and other Holman Lumber Company properties before they leased it all to hunting clubs and quit issuing their individual permits. Maybe it was during his early phase of cross dressing, but my recollection is he’d blend in with the country woman in long gingham dress and bonnet. A time or two he and Daddy would pull up alongside in trucks on a country lane and exchange the time of day, so I couldn’t see much. But no makeup or anything, just looked like a man with a bonnet. “D. C.”, Daddy would say afterward. They knew several mutual acquaintances since we owned B. Creek Fishing Camp and my Uncle C. R. ran the camp. Don’t know if he fronted any of Uncle C.'s associates or not, but there was a local family who kept a Jon boat on the creek and would leave after dark and head down the river. As kids we’d see them sometimes, but never their return trips- guess we were long asleep by then, LOL. Uncle C. told me later in my college years that they were making shine. Also told me of a liquor running murder under the Fosters Ferry bridge on a Greene County haul. Rough days.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home