Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Tuscaloosa's FRED DELOACH tells Jerry Henry about his summer at THE RED ROOSTER:
http://www.theplanetweekly.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=837&Itemid=48

Steve Caldwell’s father, Earl Caldwell owned the building that the Old Hickory leased on Panama City Beach, not the Old Dutch which was up the beach. That’s where Bobby Goldsboro and the Webbs played. Bobby went out on his own and the Webbs became the Classics IV and they did "Spooky".....We played in bands because of our love of music, the music came from our hearts and it was a very good way to meet women.....I was in a band called the O-Men. I had become a good friends with John McElrath, the guy that put the Swingin Medallions together, and through him the O-Men got booked for a summer gig at the Beach Club which was right next to the Hang Out in Longbeach. Before we went down there we thought it was going to be wall to wall with beautiful girls in bikinis. We envisioned this as a 3 month vacation. When we got down there the real world hit us in the face. We played the matinee jam session at 3:00 every afternoon at the Beach Club. Then we came back and played from 8:00 till 9:00. Then the Pieces Of Eight (comprised mostly from the members of the original Swingin Medallions) which had the hit "The Lonely Drifter" came on from 9:00 till 10:00. Then we did 10:00 till 11:00. At 12:00 we went to the Cork and Bottle club at the Red Rooster (located in the old Beach Bank building) and gigged until 4:00 in the morning. We did this 7 days a week. I think we got paid $150 each a week and they paid the rent on the house where we stayed. It wasn’t all bad we did have some fun times but by the time summer was over we hated each other. That band was Bruce Hopper, Hatchet was the drummer because Ronnie Quarles couldn’t come, Tommy Stewart, I can’t remember who else. I do remember we had a Chevy Corvair van and like I told you by this time we hated each other. I told them to take me to the airport that I was flying back to Tuscaloosa. I got off the plane, walked in the airport and signed up for flying lessons. I went on to get a commerical license and instrument ticket. I did that for 6 years. Then I crashed an airplane. Chuck Leavell was living over in Idlewild South, most think it is a airport in New York but it is a cabin on a lake in Georgia. I stayed there while I got healed up. I slept in Scott Boyer’s bed because he was out on the road with Cowboy.....I played with TopTens for awhile with Denny Green and Tommy Stewart who had been in the Rubber Band that had started out as Johnny and the Monkeys and they played down in PC at the Old Hickory. That was Johnny Townsend, Tippy Armstrong, Johnny Wyker, and that bunch. Remember the vault was the bands break room in the Red Rooster. Tommy is playing with us and he had a Mark VI just like I did. The Mark VI had a molded case lined with red velvet. The case is sitting there open. Remember the men’s room was on the other side of the wall. This drunk stumbles in there and pees in Tommy’s case. (laughter) He threw that case away. (laughter)....



The K-OTICS were playing gigs at THE OLD DUTCH the first time they ever heard the Swingin' Medallions play DOUBLE SHOT. They heard THE MEDALLIONS playing it at THE OLD HICKORY. http://hotlantamusic.blogspot.com/

from Tommy "The Swamp Mann" Mann:
I first heard “Double Shot (Of My baby’s Love)” played by a local band in Troy. They had heard a band called The (Swingin’) Medallions play it somewhere. We played at a club in Panama City, Florida, at the Old Dutch Inn and went to another club where we head The Medallions. They played “Double Shot” and said they were going to record it. We started playing the song like most bands and figured they would release the record. We saw them months later and they said Dot Records refused to do the record. I, we well as my drummer, told them we were thinking of recording it and they said, “Go ahead.” I knew that there had been a version years before so I had a contact research the history and found the Dick Holler & The Holidays (original) version. Since the song had already been recorded it was perfectly okay for us – or anyone – to record. 

Both the K-OTICS and THE MEDALLIONS had hits with DOUBLE SHOT.



This artist performed at THE OLD DUTCH IN 1952 http://www.hillbilly-music.com/artists/story/index.php?id=14006

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home