Saturday, August 18, 2012

Here's a little history about my study of THE FORBES PURCHASE.

This entire effort to understand our Deep South Gulf Coast origins began in earnest almost 20 years ago on New Year's Day of 1994. My wife~Sharon, my son~Christopher and myself were on vacation in Panacea, Florida & I decided to write a travel guide for the Gulf Coast. I'd already been to St. Marks & Ft. Gadsden many times since the early Eighties & I was familiar with Bill Coker's work but I soon found that I didn't know enough to write any kind of guide and so I began my quest to master an understanding of the Deep South's Formative Years.

This quest led me down many paths and one of them was the story of THE FORBES PURCHASE ~ The Greatest Real Estate Deal in American History.

Back in January of '94, I decided my first purpose was to understand what it took to mark on the ground the FIRST SOUTHERN BOUNDARY OF THE UNITED STATES in the late 1790s which was our country's first tangible effort toward an American Acquisition of Florida. Not only did this old boundary line end its 382 mile path east from the Mississippi River in my home county of Houston County, Alabama, but it ended on the banks of the Chattahoochee within the former jurisdiction of a Creek Indian town of Chiscatolofa, the very place where THE FORBES PURCHASE was transacted. I found at the end of this old boundary line where a 200 year old Spanish Deed of Cession executed inside the jurisdiction of the U.S. for over a million acres for the consideration of a nickel an acre and upheld by the Supreme Court of the U.S. still stood in the present day as a cornerstone of American contract law and was noted in most informed histories as being THE BIGGEST REAL ESTATE DEAL IN OUR COUNTRY'S HISTORY!

There just so much about this deal!
There's THE CUBAN CONNECTION~ the story of the U.S. Commissioners who were sent to Cuba to retrieve the missing Spanish Archives of Florida, the most important of which were those connected to THE FORBES PURCHASE.http://www.floridabar.org/DIVCOM/JN/JNJournal01.nsf/Author/C435C98B58D7CEFF85256DAD00464A46

I've been blogging for almost 10 years now and I've put a lot of Forbes Purchase stuff on the Internet. Here's a link to an extensive archive which begins after you scroll down past the article on Truman Capote.
http://robertoreg.blogspot.com/2009_01_04_archive.html

There's now growing interest on this subject due to the Bicentennial of the War of 1812. Next summer will mark the 200th Anniversary of the opening of the Creek War & Mobile's James Innerarity, the man who closed the Forbes Purchase, and his brother, Pensacola's John Innerarity, are central to that conflict as is the store they opened on Prospect Bluff of the Apalachicola as a condition of the Forbes Purchase.
http://familytreemaker.genealogy.com/users/c/r/e/Nedra-A-Creamerinnerarity/FILE/0021text.txt
Glad to see you are enthusiastic about learning more. Feel free to call me any time. Home 410-272-1462
cell~ 443-703-6271.

Best,
r

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home