Friday, June 10, 2022

THE ROBERTOREG READER

dedicated to S.
for all the wrong reasons.
"Wrong can't ever be right. Be good, Bob."
~ Grandma Register
"EAT CORNBREAD. RAISE HELL."
~ Chukker graffiti
Until one is committed, there is hesitancy, the chance to draw back, always ineffectiveness. Concerning all acts of initiative (and creation), there is one elementary truth, the ignorance of which kills countless ideas and splendid plans: that the moment one definitely commits oneself, then Providence moves too. All sorts of things occur to help one that would never otherwise have occurred. A whole stream of events issues from the decision, raising in one's favour all manner of unforeseen incidents and meetings and material assistance, which no man could have dreamt would have come his way. I learned a deep respect for one of Goethe's couplets:
Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it.
Boldness has genius, power and magic in it!
~ W.H. Murray
THE 23RD PSALM
The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.
2 He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters.
3 He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake.
4 Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.
5 Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.
6 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the Lord for ever.
THE LORD'S PRAYER
9 After this manner therefore pray ye: Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name.
10 Thy kingdom come, Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven.
11 Give us this day our daily bread.
12 And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors.
13 And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil: For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever. Amen.
THE SERENITY PRAYER
God, grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change,
the courage to change the things I can,
and the wisdom to know the difference.
Living one day at a time,
enjoying one moment at a time;
accepting hardship as a pathway to peace;
taking, as Jesus did,
this sinful world as it is,
not as I would have it;
trusting that You will make all things right
if I surrender to Your will;
so that I may be reasonably happy in this life
and supremely happy with You forever in the next.
Amen.
Reinhold Niebuhr
THE OPTIMIST CREED
PROMISE MYSELF!
#1~ To be so strong that nothing can disturb MY peace of mind.
#2~ To talk health, happiness, and prosperity to every person I meet.
#3~ To make all MY friends feel that there is something in them.
#4~ To look at the sunny side of everything and make MY optimism come true.
#5~ To think of the best; to work only for the best; and expect only the best.
#6~ To be just as enthusiastic about the success of others as I am about MY own.
#7~ To forget the mistakes of the past, and press on to greater achievements for the future.
#8~ TO WEAR A CHEERFUL COUNTENANCE AT ALL TIMES AND GIVE EVERY CREATURE I MEET A SMILE.
#9~ To give so much time to the improvement of MYSELF that I have no time to criticize others.
#10~ To be too large for worry, too noble for anger, too strong for fear, and too happy to permit the presence of trouble.
I begin this book with an introduction to guide the reader.
(to be continued...)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home