Wednesday, April 06, 2022

 from page 47 of DEVIL MAKE A THIRD:

She'd be singing, he knew, and he could make out like he could hear it now:

"Oh, it rained and poured

  And 'twas cold, stormy weather, 

  In came the landlord,

   And drank up all the cider."

That would be the song, because she always sang it, trying to make the bell clapper hit when she came to what she called heavy words, like "rained" and "stormy" and "drank."

So I'm working on this quote from Chapter 5 of DEVIL MAKE A THIRD and I search newspapers-dot-com for "In came the landlord" "drank up all the cider" and I GET ONLY ONE CLIPPING IN THE WHOLE WORLD and it's from Dothan's W.D. Malone in a 1952 letter to the DOTHAN EAGLE about his trip to Alaska! And get this! The character of AMOS LONGSHORE in DEVIL MAKE A THIRD is modeled after W.D. Malone's grandfather and I got to know W.D. Malone very well because he let me fish in the pond which was in his backyard during my Young Jr. and Dothan High days! (from the July 27, 1952 DOTHAN EAGLE)  


  


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home