Monday, January 10, 2022

 from page 236 of DEVIL MAKE A THIRD:

"It's my duty to speak," the preacher said, mockingly.

Buck's eyelids trembled as he narrowed his eyes. He didn't speak.

"Unless," the preacher continued, slowly, with his eyes trying to hold Buck's, "we could be paid for not doing our night's work."

Buck held up his hand and stopped him.

"You're not a regular preacher, are you? Baptist or Methodist?"

"No, I'm not ordained, but I believe I'm qualified to do one thing." He paused and lowered his voice. "I can tell the good people of Aven just what kind of mayor they have as mayor."

"Now, by God," Buck said, harshly, "you're going to find out what kind of man I am, and I doubt if you'll be telling it." 

from the November 29, 1916 DOTHAN EAGLE (Reverend S.J. Winchester)



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home