Tuesday, April 06, 2021

 So yesterday I tried to keep my eyes on the river during my entire hike. The flood was over and they'd cleared the upriver floodgates so all sorts of debris was floating by; coolers, navigation buoys, huge rafts of various logs, etc. The RiverWalk trail veers away from the river as you approach the Cypress Shelter but it comes into view just as you round the curve. Right then I saw a bald eagle TRYING to fly with a huge fish. It was flapping just above the water and attempting to climb. I began running toward the river yelling over and over to the students sitting around with their heads in their cell phones, "A bald eagle's flyin' down the river with a fish!" I must have yelled it three or four times and nobody looked up from their phone. I missed my shot but got to see that magnificently overloaded bald eagle fly down the river pursued by a cawing black crow. As I walked away from the edge of the bluff, a couple of the students looked up from their phones to see who the crazy old man was who'd been yelling. I shared my story with them about what they had just missed, "and there was that bald eagle with a big fish in his talons, flying as hard as he could to get away from a crow that's got robbery on its mind. Sorta like America today, ain't it?"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home