Thursday, February 11, 2021

CHILD LABOR: UNCOMPENSATED TOIL

 Chapter 1

first paragraph of page 11: "He was eighteen and he was following a mule for the last time."

page 15: "That comes o' rootin' for vittles in this here sorry clay," he said,"

page 16: "-that time when he was eleven and had to quit school to help in the fields-"

page 17: "Don't let Papa make you plow the big mule, boy," he said. "Big John'll pure pull yore arms out at the sockets. But you got to quit sleepin' in the cotton rows when you ought to be choppin'."

Chapter 2

page 24: "Food comes first. Then I got to get me a job- job where a man don't have to use a tool. Tool jobs make corns on a man's hands and when he gets through he's so tired he ain't got sense enough to spend money right. Now, I got to lay onto the right job, but I don't know what it is. It oughtn't to make so much difference, long as it ain't a tool job. I hate to sweat."

SOCIAL STATUS


 

 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home