Tuesday, December 29, 2020

from page 131 of DEVIL MAKE A THIRD (the model for the character of Joe Kraft was HYMAN BLUMBERG):

...Joe Kraft's voice came again. "Wait a minute, Buck." He stopped and the little man came closer. His face was twisting as if he didn't know what to say when he caught Buck's arm and drew him into the shadows near his store.

"I sold a whole lot of sheeting today," he whispered.

Buck's eyes grew puzzled.

"Hope to hell we did, too."

Joe Kraft shook his head.

"What I sold was to men."

Unconsciously Buck's voice lowered.

"I reckon I know what you mean," he said, slowly, feeling his way, "but it's the first I've heard of it."

"They won't say anything to me," Kraft said. "You know that. But, somehow, I figured you wouldn't like it, and maybe-''

"God, no," Buck broke in. "I don't like it and never will." He laughed harshly. "Too damned many times when they might a' come after me." He punched Joe Kraft lightly in the ribs.

"Don't let it bother you. Just a bunch o' drunks goin' through Baptist Bottom for some fun."

Kraft didn't smile, but his face took on a look of vast patience.

"Fun!" His voice was soft, but bitterness was in the tone.

"Forget it," Buck said. "Maybe they'll get too drunk to do anything." He watched Kraft's lips twist in a wry smile as the little man turned away and slipped back to lean against his store front.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home