Sunday, May 12, 2019

I knew both Grover and Becky. I worked with Grover on the cemetery crew for the summer of '68 and I knew Becky because she picked up Grover's check on Friday and she worked at Oscar's. Grover was an interesting case. He was a widower. I think his wife was named Rose and he didn't have a marker for her in the City Cemetery but he drove a lead pipe down as a "headstone". He used the pipe as a vase and tried to keep a "fresh" artificial rose in it. Hard worker but a notorious drunk. I called it GROVER'S BREAKFAST. He put an RC and a Zero candy bar on his ticket at Cotton's EVERY MORNING. Anyway, he took up with Becky @ his crib behind Coca-Cola, right in front of the #1 fire station. I went back to work at the City Cemetery for about two weeks in '69 before my job @ Rucker opened up and the way I heard it came down was Grover decided to get Jesus and took back his check and forbid alcohol. Becky left and got a room @ the Halfway House on N. St. Andrews in Dixie. Grover went up to her room and Becky told him to "Git!" and Grover said,"Well, I guess I'll just have to kill ya." and went back to his house and got a pistol. It inspired me to write the lyrics and Richard Burke put music to it. Frank put it all together. MUCHAS, FRANK!!!! (my fellow DUSY STREET/YOUNG JR. BABY CRIMINAL!)
https://www.soundclick.com/html5/v4/player.cfm?songID=10917197&fbclid=IwAR3E_HcxMX-yJlGcYfv3aLLg-yL8R6TOer7TTQcjpWJnEyn_jbsrvEElKHw

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home