Friday, March 02, 2018

The presentation on THE OLD DUTCH (1939-1975) is a little over three weeks away and I've already finished about half of what I want to say but I plan on revising my work right up to the last minute so this Facebook post is my sincere appeal for your assistance by writing down your reminiscences of the first bar to ever be built on Panama City Beach. Also share this post with any of your Facebook friends who may be interested in this research. My email address is robertoreg@gmail.com
The following comes from the article I wrote in PANAMA CITY LIVING magazine five years ago:
"When you walked into the barroom of The Old Dutch, you felt as if you’d just stepped into a rustic Florida roadhouse time capsule lifted out of some Forties film noir classic. The bare cypress log walls were covered with various clocks, curios and stuffed hunting and fishing trophies; all crowned with a high ceiling of exposed rough cypress beams. As you entered you faced a huge stone fireplace, constructed from 113 tons of rock that could burn logs five feet long. The anchor of the old 160 ft. coastal freighter, Tarpon, sunk off Phillips Inlet in 1937, stood mounted on the mantelpiece. To the left was the unpolished bar made of cypress lumber and blackened by the tobacco and whiskey it had dispensed since 1940."

I have only four images from inside the OLD DUTCH and no photographs of the outside of the night club in its last years before it was destroyed by Hurricane Eloise in 1975. I'd appreciate more images but I'm also interested in your impressions of the interior of the beach landmark that made so many memories during the over 35 years that it stood beside the Gulf of Mexico (by the time I visited the Old Dutch, an outside facade of concrete blocks covered the cypress logs). All help will be appreciated. https://www.bayhistorysociety.net/events.html

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home