Thursday, November 16, 2017

Yesterday on my afternoon hike I decided to write five "Dothan people" about my work on DEVIL MAKE A THIRD.
 You are one of those people.
If you know anyone who would be interested in putting together a play or rock musical (I can see how many Buddy Buie tunes ~ Georgia Pines, Spooky, Stormy, Traces, So Into You, I'm Not Going To Let It Bother Me Tonight, Homesick, Dreamy Alabama,etc. could be used) based upon this superb novel, please share this blog address with them. https://privatepropertynotrespass.blogspot.com/

If anyone is interested in drawing attention to Dothan's architectural heritage and the need to preserve downtown, they should pick up a copy of DMAT & read it. The story of Buck Bannon and his adopted hometown of Aven mirrors Dothan's boomtown origins and the story of our lovable turn-of-the-century scoundrel, Dothan Mayor Buck Baker. There's only one problem with reading the book. There is no E-book available and the cheapest paperback edition on Amazon is now going for sixty bucks (the only hardback 1948 copy I could find online sold Sept. 7 for $119.55) I don't know what the situation is with the copyright but I'll bet it's a MAJOR HEADACHE because the last reprint was done by THE UNIVERSITY OF ALABAMA PRESS and when you deal with them, you generally sign all your rights away.

Anyway, I'm up to Chapter 21 on my "dissection" of the novel. The last "piece of the puzzle" that threw me for a loop was this sentence describing Alabama Governor Thrasher's wife at a banquet being held in Harrison House, "Her lifeless-looking hands fluttered occasionally up over her flat chest, as if she had slipped down inside the whalebone shell of her pale-green gown and wanted to pull back up." So now I'm down in a HISTORY OF CORSETS "rabbit hole"http://www.victoriana.com/corsets/corseting.htm
trying to dig myself out so I can examine Buck and Lota's church wedding.

Please follow my progress on the blog, talk up DEVIL MAKE A THIRD with your Dothan friends and share your ideas with me.

Best,
r

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home