Thursday, July 16, 2015

Indians on the barrier islands

Columbus, GA
18th March 1837

Sir,

I have the honour to forward duplicate muster rolls of Creek Indians delivered to the 
agent west. There is no reason I can advance why the Emigrating Company should not 
receive the amount called for by the rolls. I have just returned from Montgomery where 
I turned over all the Indians to the Emigrating Company. They have transported or got 
them on the way to Mobile Point about 2,000; the balance will be started immediately. 
I have made arrangements for the company to feed them after they arrive until they are 
met by the warriors in Florida agreeable to your instructions. I have sent an asst. 
Agent to meet the Warriors in Florida and accompany them to the Point where their 
families are and to explain to them the cause of this movement & c. I shall proceed 
tomorrow again to accompany the Indians, some few hostiles are yet in the swamp; I 
have three companies of volunteers now in pursuit of them, they refused to join the 
Indians after I had sent them word what their fate would be if they did not come in.

With respect
I have the honour to be
Your Obt. Servt.
John Page Capt. &
Supt Creeks

C. A. Harris Esq.
Com. of Indian Affairs
Washington City
 
 [M234, roll 238, frame 401] 

Head Quarters, Tampa Bay Flo.
April 11th 1837

Sir,

I have the honour to receive this morning, your letter, of the 27th of March approving 
the arrangements made with the Creek Chiefs for the subsistence of themselves and 
families, after their arrival at their new homes in the West.

I received yseterday evening information of the removal of the families of the Creek 
Warriors to Mobile Point. I had been previously informed of this excitement in the 
Creek Country, and had seen an account in the newspapers of the removal of the Creek 
families but was not aware of the brutal treatment which those families had been 
compelled to submit to, until I received the reports of Lieuts. Reynolds and Sloan 
to Major Wilson, whom I had sent to Mobile Point to inquire into the circumstances 
preceeding and attending the removal, copies of which are enclosed.

I have explained to the Chiefs that the measure adopted was the only one by which their 
families and those of their warriors could be secured from insult. Some are satisfied 
but others are not, and what effect their dissatisfaction may have on the Seminoles, 
I am not prepared to say.

The Creek families were plundered of the greater part of their property and it is no 
more than justice that they be remunerated. I will endeavor to satisfy them if possible 
and send them off by detachments, as I get the Seminoles off.

I have the honor to be,
Sir,
Your Obdt, Servt
-- Jesup
Major Genl --

The Hon. J. R. Poinsett
Secy of War
Washington City
 
 [M234, roll 238, frames 569-72] 

Mobile Point, Ala.
17th June 1837

Sir,

I have the honour to report my arrival at this place with one hundred and eighty 
Creek warriors; on furlough for one month, where they will return, if directed, 
by Genl. Jesup to Tampa Bay. All the sick of the first Battalion were embraced in 
the number specified above, fourteen women and children refugee Creeks that escaped 
to the Seminole Nation also accompanied the detatchment, making the total number 
one hundred and ninety four. An unfortunate movement of Echo Harjo's people under 
the direction of Lieut. Slone were ordered to New Orleans from some representation 
made to Genl. Jesup. They became very sickly there. Genl. Jesup immediately ordered 
them back to this place again.

I shall leave here tomorrow for Mobile for the purpose of obtaining leave of the 
owners of Dauphin Island to remove those people to that place, they will there, 
all be secure; as we are now situated, the Indians will go out hunting and the 
people get alarmed; though there is no bad intention on the part of the Indian. 
If it is practicable, I will move to this Island and make them as comfortable as 
possible and then there can be no complaint from any citizen, as it is impossible 
for them to get from the island unless accompanied by an agent of the Government. 

I enclose you a contract made with the Alabama and Georgia Emigrating Company, to 
supply the Indians with rations. As I passed through Montgomery I could not give 
but three days notice to supply those Indians with rations but no one would offer 
any price, unless I specified some particular period these people would be subsisted. 
This I could not do. The Emigrating Company's offer was the only bid that was made, 
there being but one of them present at the time I entered into writing for the moment 
until I arrived at the Point as I was on my way there. On my arrival here the contract 
was made out and signed by the Company but the Steam Boat arrived at the same time. 
I was compeled to go on board and did not sign it myself but took it with me, the copy 
furnished by Maj. Wilson was done for the moment to authorize the company to forward 
rations forthwith as the Emigrants were all on their way. It appears there has been 
some misunderstanding with Maj. Wilson and the contractors about the rations. A 
detatchment of Indians between six and seven hundred, was ordered to New Orleans. It 
put the contractors to some expense as the movement was a sudden one and no time given 
them to make arrangements for feeding them.

Lieut. Slone required of them to furnish fresh beef while there, they complied with 
his requisition, though the market price for beef was 20 cents per pound, but they 
were unable to get it in the market every morning. Maj. Wilson required them to furnish 
fresh beef here, they attempted and made a contract and the beef was brought to the spot 
but the weather was so warm it spoiled and was lost, a second attempt was made and it 
spoiled and of course all was lost - to the contractors - Maj. Wilson contended that 
they were compeled to furnish fresh beef if it was a dollar per pound, the contract 
speaks for itself, what the ration shall consist of and when it shall be delivered. I 
consider they are bound to furnish a portion of fresh beef if it can be procured at any 
reasonable price. If it cannot be furnished, such as can be obtained of a good and 
wholesome quality, the beef must be killed in either Pensacola or Mobile and transported 
to this place. If from Pensacola it is forty miles, if from Mobile thirty miles. One of 
the Company has now gone to see if they can procure the beef at such a price as will not
render the contract ruinous to them. They are willing to do anything required of them 
to fulfill their obligations and I assure you the rights and comforts of the Indians shall 
be strictly observed, and if I had remained here long enough to have arranged matters 
before I went to Tampa Bay there would have been no difficulty or misunderstanding in 
the business. When I received my instructions to remove the Indians to this place I 
worked night and day to comply with the orders. On my arrival here I found a letter 
from Genl Jesup requesting me to come forthwith to Tampa Bay for the space of ten days. 
I remained here about one hour when I embarked for that place. So, soon as I can get 
time I will give you a statement of my proceedings while there.

Capt. Bateman and myself arrived here the same day. There is a great deal of business 
to do here to keep the Indians under subjection, our number is augmenting every day. 
If I can locate them on Dauphin Island all will be quiet. I have a great many arrangements 
to make for the sick before I can remove them.

Mr. Dubois a half breed Indian arrived here a short time since to see about the second 
payment for the land and it is now ascertained the business can not be accomplished 
until the Creek warriors are discharged, there being a great number of them interested 
and Yeo poth le hola, Chief of the Creeks, will decline in acting until all are present, 
so the money can be divided in proportion of the value of each man's tract. The Creek 
warriors term of service will expire on the 14th of September. I think it doubtful if 
Genl. Jesup discharges them before that period. I will render my accounts for the last 
two quarters and require the other officers to do the same. They kept their accounts 
back in consequence of my absence, not being to render them until my arrival. I shall 
remain on duty here unless other wise ordered until the duties assinged me require my 
attention west. Maj. Wilson will shortly leave here for Tampa Bay, one officer will 
necessarily be detatched most of the time with a few Indians to call in refugee Creeks 
where ever they can be found.

With Respect
I have the honour to be
Your Obt Servt
John Page
Capt. & Supt of Creeks

C. A. Harris Esq.
Commissioner of Indian Affairs
Washingotn City

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home