Monday, January 31, 2022

I believe I have the model for the character of "Reverend Agnew Huff" in Chapter 22 (page 234) of DEVIL MAKE A THIRD. He is Reverend A.J. Dailey whose revival tent was burned down in Dothan in March of 1930. Reverend Dailey called himself the "Wildcat Evangelist" and a "reformed gambler." This was ten years after Buck Baker's death but Reverend Dailey was accusing Dothan's mayor and police department of corruption prior to the arson of his tent and the mayor of Dothan was Clem Ezell who had his tailor shop in the Hotel Martin for decades and was a part of the Baker Political Machine which controlled a lot of Dothan politics. I believe a photograph exists of the burned remains of Reverend Dailey's revival tent. (clippings from the January 27, 1930 DOTHAN EAGLE, the March 14, 1930 DOTHAN EAGLE, and the March 21, 1930 GENEVA COUNTY REAPER)

from page 236 of DEVIL MAKE A THIRD:

"It's my duty to speak," the preacher said, mockingly.

Buck's eyelids trembled as he narrowed his eyes. He didn't speak.

"Unless," the preacher continued, slowly, with his eyes trying to hold Buck's, "we could be paid for not doing our night's work."

Buck held up his hand and stopped him.

"You're not a regular preacher, are you? Baptist or Methodist?"

"No, I'm not ordained, but I believe I'm qualified to do one thing." He paused and lowered his voice. "I can tell the good people of Aven just what kind of mayor they have as mayor."

"Now, by God," Buck said, harshly, "you're going to find out what kind of man I am, and I doubt if you'll be telling it." 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home