Wednesday, December 15, 2021

 hereditary influence in DEVIL MAKE A THIRD:

page 14 and 15: "He's my size,' he said, slowly, "but he's you all over, Jeanie. You kin see the McPherson stock ashinin' from fetlock to forelock."

Buck's mother seemed to grow shy and her face reddened spottily through the swelling. She was trying to keep sheer pleasure from her voice when she spoke.

"His eyes're grey, "she said, "and my nose ain't got no hump." 

Buck rubbed his nose with a crooked forefinger.

"That comes o' rootin' for vittles in his here sorry clay," he said, and felt the words lay out beside the other in the sudden quiet. He wished he had them back.

(page 98: poker game is held above McPHERSON'S SALOON)

page 169: "Buck," she said, softly, "you're a big man in Aven. Mighty big for your age. But don't tell me you won't do somethin'. You've come fast an' hard an' some got tromped on your way. There ain't a soul in town can tell you how to move, but I'm tellin' you now if you do what I say, I'll show you how you learned to ride roughshod," She breathed faster, and some of the color spotted back into her cheeks.

page 169: "You didn't get your ways from Joe Bannon," she said, "that's pure 'n tee McPherson an' it comes straight from me."

page 185: "I didn't mention it, Buck," he heard her say, "but Mayne Foster saw the boy over here around Easter and she says he ain't got a blemish of Longshore. All Bannon."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home