Friday, May 28, 2021

from page 242 of DEVIL MAKE A THIRD: 

 Lota raised herself on one elbow and  looked him in the face.

"Buck," she said, slowly, "didn't you honestly think that it might embarrass me?"

"Well, I don't say-" Buck shrugged. "I don't know."

"I think you did," Lota said, quickly, then she turned up one corner of her mouth and lay back again. She put her hands over her eyes.

"Oh, I can see why," she said, bitterly. "A country girl going hog-wild with a new automobile and a driver, playing Mrs. God because she married the richest man in town. I had time to think about it, all right." She turned over quickly and Buck couldn't see her face any more. Her voice came muffled now. "You don't have to tell me. I know I shouldn't have done it, but, my God, you didn't have to do it that way."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home