Friday, September 25, 2020

 

EVE OF DESTRUCTION

I'm trying to recollect the summer of '66 when I was on staff @ THE BOY SCOUT RESERVATION. In my foggy 54 year-old memories, the camp director had a little rebellion in the staff about his restrictions on staff going into town, especially on weekday nights plus the dining hall sucked all season with a monotonous menu. I think he bought a bunch of a few items. Example: Only one kind of cereal at breakfast: Capn' Crunch. Stuff like that. Anyway, some staff decided to do something controversial @ OA tap out campfire one week. One of 'em sang EVE OF DESTRUCTION and I think a few nights later the same bunch exploded a firecracker inside the camp director's chimney smoking up the director's cabin. Thomas Wheatley, Clay Grubb, Sam Jones and myself were the Dothan scouts on staff that year. Any BOY SCOUT RESERVATION SUMMER OF '66 memories anyone has to share will be appreciated even the ones where I might be included. I've finally been able to come to grips with my past. (after runnin' down some of these memories on the newspaper archive, I discovered that the Scout executive who served as Camp Director during the summer of '66 left before the end of the year and we got a NEW Scout executive who turned out to be a TRUE MONSTER!)

(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdWGp3HQVjU

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home