Thursday, August 31, 2017

I'm beginning to believe I'm being haunted by the spirit of Admiral Franklin Buchanan. The first time I went to Annapolis, I found out he started the U.S. Naval Academy and was its first commandant. The first time I went to the Washington Navy Yard, our oldest active military installation, I saw an anchor from the U.S.S. Hartford outside the museum just like the one at Ft. Gaines on D.I. and after going inside I found that the entire front portion of the museum was devoted to Admiral Buchanan's defense of Mobile Bay; then I found out that in 1861, at the time Admiral Buchanan resigned his commission from the U.S. Navy to join the Confederate Navy, he had been commandant of the Washington Naval Yard. Last year, when I visited Talbot County, Maryland, for my first day-trip there ever, I discovered the location of Admiral Buchanan's grave on the grounds of his wife's family's plantation. They only owned acres and slaves. Then yesterday, we visited Druid Hills Park and the Maryland Zoo for the first time and I discovered that this park, which is almost as old as Central Park in NYC, was originally part of Admiral Buchanan's grandfather's estate and the family cemetery is still on the grounds of the park. The Mansion House in the park was built on the location of the Buchanan family home. I don't care how serious a student you may be of the BATTLE OF MOBILE BAY, you probably don't know that if the C.S.S. Tennessee's rudder chain and smokestack had been better protected, that Confederate ship constructed in Selma, commanded by CONFEDERATE ADMIRAL FRANKLIN BUCHANAN, could have sunk every U.S. Navy ship at the Battle of Mobile Bay. It is for good reason that the Confederate version of Farragut's words at the beginning of the Battle of Mobile Bay were, "TORPEDOS?!!!!! DAMN!"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home