Friday, December 23, 2016

My Daddy, Earl Register, was drafted on Valentine's Day 1942 along with the rest of his gang from Dothan. After training in Colorado Springs, he took a secret train to Miami Beach where he boarded a convoy bound for North Africa. In North Africa, the Mediterranean islands and Italy, Daddy served in the 12th Air Force's 57th Bomb Wing, the same unit in which the author of Catch-22, Joseph Heller, served during WWII. When the Catch-22 movie came out, I told Daddy about it and he was impressed that so  many of his memories had been transformed onto the silver screen. Now I'm finding more and more literature that links to the many stories my Daddy told me while I was growing up (the evacuation of U.S. Army's planes from the skirts of Mount Vesuvius on March 22, 1944 or the May 3, 1944 German strafing of Corsica's Alesan Airfield). There is no way I can express my appreciation for Joseph Heller writing CATCH-22. Because of him, 18 B-25s were saved for posterity and the story of some genuine American heroes has been preserved in books like THE BRIDGEBUSTERS: The True Story of the CATCH-22 Bomb Wing. http://studylib.net/doc/8346533/michael-c.-scoggins-joseph-heller-s-combat-experiences-in....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home