Friday, August 05, 2016

ASP, MILITARY AFFAIRS https://play.google.com/books/reader?id=iJUbAQAAMAAJ&printsec=frontcover&output=reader&hl=en&pg=GBS.PA726

 I, Isaac McKeever, a lieutenant in the navy of the United States, on oath declare, that the following narration contains a true statement of facts, to the best of my knowledge. I commanded the naval force which convoyed the store-ships, transports, &c. from New Orleans to Fort Gadsden, and from thence to the bay of St. Marks, during the Seminole war. I arrived in the said bay on the 1st of April, 1818, with British colors flying at my mast head; on the next day I was visited by a Spanish lieutenant, the second in command at Fort St. Marks. The lieutenant was inquisitive as to the character of my vessels and the nature of my visit, and wished to know whether I had any authority from the Captain General of Cuba for entering the territories of His Catholic Majesty. In reply, I asked him if he had seen my colors on entering the bay of St. Marks, and intimated that the nature of my visit could not be satisfactorily explained until the arrival of Captain Woodbine, at the same time intimating that it was of an illicit character, and that succor, aid, &c. to Hillishajo and his warriors, in their present distress, was intended. At the mention of this he expressed much satisfaction, stated that Captain Woodbine and the Spanish commandant of St. Marks were good friends, and voluntarily gave me every information as to the movements of General Jackson's force, and his strength; the situation of the hostile Indians he detailed at length, and stated, what rejoicing the re ception of the long promised and expected succor would occasion. He stated that Hillishajo and the Spanish com mandant were on intimate terms; that the former was then in the vicinity, and had lately been at the fort of St. Marks, when he had urged, with menaces.the commandant to send on board to ascertain to demonstration the cha racter of the strangers; and, having satisfied himself, he would see Hillishajo that evening, after which we might expect a visit from the latter, who accordingly came on board the following morning. He likewise informed me that Arbuthnot, a friend to the hostile Indians, and an acquaintance of Woodbine's, was in Fort St. Marks. On my expressing to him some apprehension of being blockaded by an American squadron reported to be on the coast, or of my retreat being cut off by Jackson, he replied, that the latter was impossible; that Jackson had but five pieces of artillery, and ihe impracticability of the swamp would prevent his assuming any position below me; but that I need apprehend no danger from any quarter; that, as allies, by anchoring under the guns of the fort, protection would be afforded me. About this time we were informed by the Spanish officers and Indians, who came on board, that, on our arrival within the bay, the Indian camp demonstrated much joy at the approach of their expected supplies of munitions, &c. I. McKEEVER. New Orleans, June 5, 1819. Sworn this 5th June, 1819, DOM. A. HALL, Dial. Judge U. S. Lou. Dial.

 I was Quartermaster General of the South Division on the Seminole campaign. At Fort Gadsden I received orders to proceed to Mobile and Fort Montgomery, for the purpose of forwarding supplies to the army, then on its march west. From Mobile I sent the schooner Little Sally, Captain Pastes, loaded with provisions, to the Perdido river, with instructions to remain there until the approach of the army, or until further (infers. Two days after we arrived at the Barancaa, Captain Pastes joined, and informed us that his vessel had been taken by a Spanish launch near the mouth of Perdido, and brought under the guns of the Fort Barancas, and detained several days. This was confirmed by several Spanish officers after we took possession of the fort. I certify, on my honor, to the truth of the above statement. GEORGE GIBSON, Washington, February 1, 1820. Late Quartermaster General of South Division. Sir: Navy Department, March 27, 1818. In the present state of hostilities between the Indians and the United States, your aid and co-operation may be required by the general commanding the United States' army in the South; you will therefore afford all the aid and support in your power, and keep up a correspondence for this purpose. Despatch immediately two gunboats and two of the smaller Tessels to Mobile, and to the Appalachicola, to pro tect the convoys of supplies, anil to remove any obstructions to a free communication between the/or/* and forces of the United States. It will be your duty also to adopt such further measures as the circumstances of the case or the development of events may render necessary. B. W. CROWNINSHIELD. P. S. Commandant J. D. Henley is also ordered to send one of the small vessels of his squadron to the Appa lachicola, which vessel will be subject to your order.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home