Sunday, August 30, 2015

A letter from John McKee, founder of Tuscaloosa and Tuscaloosa's first U.S. Congressman, to James Innerarity in Spanish Mobile (after the U.S. conquest of Mobile in 1813, James was elected the first mayor of Mobile)

John McKee to James Innerarity)
Washington Jany. 17, 1811
Dear Sir, I arrived here not before the 14. where I met a letter from Mr. Forbes, dated at Charleston 1st. Jany. I expect daily to receive another in answer to one I wrote to him on the way-indeed I am not without hope that he will come on himselfMy reception here has been flattering and might lead a man of more ambition & credulity to expect great things-but money is the subject of my story and if they will, God bless them, give me but enough of that they may keep their honors for those who are more ambitious of them. - I have had a few skirmishes about the Anglocism of your houseand with some I trust I have succeeded in placing you in a proper point of view-that is honest, peacable English Merchants & men of honor above being intriguers or spies for any Government-and without any strong prejudicies against ours. You may expect to hear from me frequently especially if anything should occur interesting to you or to the good people of Mobille Present me respectfully to Mrs. I. and give little William a kiss for me Your friend John McKee James Innerarity, Esq.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home