Wednesday, August 12, 2009

I shot out a request last night for reminiscences & I don't think I've ever had a greater response in almost 5 years of blogging which proves to me that Dothan's Nip & Ernie's was a Southside sandwich shop that left an impression on all who darkened their door & the memories y'all shared with us show what a warm spot that old place still holds in our hearts.

Nip Howard's family lived near us on Pinecrest & we grew up with Ann, Linda (DHS '67), Bobbie (DHS '71?) & Carl (DHS '75?).
Mrs. Howard ruled the roost at Nip & Ernie's so we always TRIED TO BE on our best behavior.
After we started drinking in the 10th grade, we stayed away from Nip's because of Mrs. Howard.

Ernie Edwards was in the DHS Class of '40. He was one year behind my Daddy. His daughter Paula graduated with me in '68. She came to Bama with all of us but she wasn't aware that I came along with the Dothan crowd. I'll never forget meeting her on campus during our senior year & she was so surprised that I was going to Alabama.

My brother Bill can give a detailed account of life at Nip's. He & Carl were the same age so Bill & Carl spent many of their elementary school days hangin' around Nip's eating chili dogs & looking at funny books.

Bill & Carl also learned a lot of life's secrets while snooping around Linda's new Corvair.

By the time Bill got in high school he had no problem going to Nip's everyday for lunch.
As Bill says of the DHS campus, "I walked off that son of a bitch like I owned it."

Bill was Mose Saliba's Audio Visual Aide Assistant so their day started during first period with taking the coach's order's for double cheeseburgers (with extra Thousand Island) or for a couple of chili dogs. The Big O always tuned 'em up good for Dothan High's coaches at Oscar's Drive-In on North St. Andrews.

Lunch found Mose & Bill accompanied by whoever had the balls to leave school for lunch at Nip's. At the appointed time the party of four DHS Tigers entered to find their table already fixed with 12 chili dogs, two orders of fries and two pitchers of tea.



My most vivid memories of Nip & Ernie's are of us packing that place after Young Junior ball games & having fights in the parking lot. Seems like I remember a real good one where Glenn Jackson cleaned Wayne "Cowboy" King's plow.

My personal Nip & Ernie's nightmare occurred after a Young Junior ball game one night.
The place was packed & I asked Denny Steele to pass me my milkshake so he picked it up and coughed one up & spit it into my milkshake.

Denny and I had a little history. One day after lunch at Young Junior, Denny asked me to come over to his locker & he cold cocked me as hard as anyone ever has in my whole life. I deserved it & when I got my vision back (I never fell down) I looked at Denny & said, "I'm sorry." & he didn't hit me again, so anywayzzzzzzzzzzz...

I was well aware of the damage Denny could inflict...

I refused to take my milkshake and I told Denny,"Buy me another one or we're going out in the lot & I know you'll whip my ass but I'm taking a plug out of you tonight!"

Denny bought me a fresh milkshake.

Let me hear from you before I blast my Nip & Ernie's stories...

best,
rr

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home